Monday, August 10, 2009

Smithsonian Follow-Up #2


Thanks to Dana Greil at the Smithsonian Museum of American History for pointing me to two videos related to my post about the Greensboro Lunch Counter. The first (above) shows a bit of the program and museum staff discussing the presentation; the second (below) shows the presentation in its entirety--something I wasn't able to see, so was thrilled to find it on YouTube. My apologies for not being able to figure out how to show the first one in a full screen--you can see the non-goofed up version here.

I particularly noticed two things: first, the use of an authentic primary source to develop the program--an actual Civil Rights training manual and second, the many ways in which the presenter uses inquiry learning to engage the audience. He'll ask questions, repeat and go back, encourage more learning and the making of connections.

As I develop tours and programs, this is one that will serve as ongoing inspiration.


No comments: